If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

2010: Post 2 - The short of it

Okay so another blog.  So what do I write about.  I am not sure.  I could write about the paddle I was on yesterday, or the one the day before. But the guys have already done that... see Tony's and Sean's blog's....

So maybe I will give the short of how I started on the road to becoming a kayakoholic...

I had very limited exposure to being on the water in boats.  I was in a canoe a couple times as a kid.  I was on the ferry between Port-aux-Basques and North Sydney half a dozen times.  I was in my uncles motor boat once.  I was in my grandfather's fishing boat a few times.  I also did a salmon fishing canoe trip down a river once.  That's pretty much the extent of it.

Then the kayaker in me wanted out.  I knew absolutely zero about kayaks and kayaking, but I researched the Internet and decided on the model that would serve my purposes.  I went to the local outdoor gear store to have a look at one.  I remember sitting in a kayak on the floor of the store and asking the sales guy "so how do you paddle this." That's pretty green, I guess.  So I bought my kayak and all the basic gear.  Then I immediately joined the local kayak club Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador

That was June 2008 and I guess the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment