Continued from previous post number 41..........
The butt joints in the chines and gunwales had 24 hours to cure. So tonight I decided to put the frames and stringers together with tie-down straps to see the rough shape of my kayak...
|Looking toward the stern|
|The gunwale butt joints will be just in front of the masik frame|
(i.e just in front of the cockpit) and the joints in the chine
will sit behind the cockpit
With the stringers tied to the frames I was able to cut the extra length off after deciding the locations of the joints.
I had not joined the keel pieces but with the kayak frame laid out like it was I was able to figure out the rough length needed for the keel, decide where the join will be, and cut one of the 10 foot pieces so as to have a more managable length. I removed the keel pieces and set them aside. Then I decided to leave everything together and hung it from the floor joists so it is out of the way.
|Frame hung from the ceiling (less the keel)|
I then joined the pieces of the keel with a butt joint...
|The joint in the keel strip will likely sit just in front of frame five|
but once I figure out the shape of the bow stem it may end
up behind frame five.
I have to admit that after tying the frames and stringers together and seeing the shape of the kayak take form I am feeling a sense of accomplishment in this early stage of this project...