If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

2011: Post 36 – Little Bell Island Cicumnavigation

A couple summers ago I was on a paddle in which we took the ferry over to Bell Island and then paddled around it.  Last summer we paddled from Topsail Beach to Little Bell Island, then over to Bell Island, then to Kelley's Island and back to Topsail Beach.   In August past Tony, Gary, and I  paddled over to and around Kelley's Island (see Post 33).  I've since had the circumnavigation of Little bell Island on my mind....

Today, with Tony as my paddling partner, I was able to cross Little Bell Island off my list.

We met at Topsail Beach and brought our boats and gear down to put in at the little freshwater pond which dumps out into the cove.  There were a bunch of curious ducks that came over to check us out...


Our objective can be seen right above my kayak...

Feathered visitors... they were not skittish at all...

This one decided to get a closer look at my kayak...

We made the crossing to the smallest of the three islands in Conception Bay.  It's only about 4.5 kilometers from Topsail Beach.


Tony on the way over to Little Bell

The wind was up a little but by the time we got around Little Bell it had all but dropped to nothing. 

Tony on the North side of Little Bell

When we had made our full circumnavigation of the little Island - it's approximately 3 km around - we decided we would climb up and have lunch and take in the view... it was another beautiful day in Conception Bay, much like the day we went around Kelly's Island.


Sometimes I think we do these paddles
just to enjoy food in the outdoors...
it certainly does taste better out there...

The view from our lunch spot atop of Little Bell Island
looking back toward Topsail Beach

After lunch we decided to make a diagonal crossing over to St. Thomas Cove.  It was a warm day and we did a couple rolls to cool off before making our way back to Topsail Beach.   There was a lot of people enjoying the sunshine at the beach when we arrived, but I was very happy to not be one of them.  It's much better to watch them from the seat of a kayak...

Beach-goers enjoying the day... but
I've said it before and I'll say it again,
kayaking is a spectator sport...
It was a very enjoyable paddle - 16.5 kilometers total.  A very nice way to spend a few hours on the water close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment