If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: Post 39 – Last Post for the year


This year has come to its calendar end.  In 2010 and 2011, as part of my kayaking goals, I had decided to be in my kayak(s) at least one-hundred times for the year; this would include paddles on the ocean, on a river, in the pool, on ponds, and practice/play days in the cove at St. Philips. 
  
Although I achieved the one-hundred numbers in both years, I had found that by the end of 2011 that in reaching my numbers goal I was sometimes going out just for the sake of hitting my target at the expense of setting aside other non-kayaking activities.  This is not necessarily a bad thing; sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to meet set goals… and all the time spent in the kayak served me well to become a more relaxed, and therefore a more improved, paddler. 

When 2012 started I decided I was not going to set any goals other than to keep up my numbers for my ocean paddling (typically on weekends), and to get in as many summer camping trips as I could.  One problem that had become apparent was that I was sharing my vehicle more and more with my daughter, so my ability to get to pool sessions and St. Philips practices during weekdays was diminishing.  So I decided to go to pool sessions and practices when I was able, but to give weekend paddling the higher priority. 

Despite lesser access to my vehicle, a few poor weather days, and the usual bouts of cold and flu during the year, I still managed a respectable sixty-six times in the kayak for 2012.

My totals for this year are:

43 days paddling on the ocean
14 times at St. Philips
9 times at Tuesday pool sessions

Compared to the last couple years, I only managed to get to half as many outings at St. Philips and only a third of the pool sessions. But my ocean paddling remained on par with the last two years (41 in 2010, 44 in 2011).  My ocean paddles have totaled 725 kilometres this year (687 in 2010, 802 in 2011).  But in order to keep up my weekend paddling adventures I often had to rely on the generosity of paddling friends to transport me and my gear for paddles; a big thanks to Clyde, Hazen and Neville for the rides…  

I was blessed with three memorable camping trips this past year; a two day trip to Great Sandy Harbour, a three day trip to Irelands Eye, and a six day trip around Merasheen Island

Some of the people I paddled with during the year of 2012 include:
  
Tony

Clyde

Hazen

Neville

Gary

Tobias

Sean and Cheryl

Gerard

I am not setting any goals for 2013.  I intend to just continue my paddling efforts as I had done during this past year… I am just going to get out there when I am able and will have to see where it is that I will find myself in my kayak.

But I do think it will be a good year as I will be able to spend the latter part of 2013 in a new kayak… a few days ago I placed my order with our local Valley kayak dealer for a Nordkapp.  Yeah!


4 comments:

  1. I haven't compiled the numbers yet but my numbers are down. Nevertheless, looking at the list of my top 10 paddles for the year, you and I, and our paddling friends, shared 8 out of the 10. One I did solo and one I did out of St. Philips when you couldn't make it. To say we were constant paddling companions is not far off the mark, which was a pleasure for me.

    Let us hope for as rewarding a 2013! Happy New Year friend.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, even with your shoulder issue in the first part of the year and almost removing your thumb a couple months ago you still got out more than i did...

    Happy New Year to you and to anyone else reading my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great year of paddling and camping. It's the quality that counts. Good to see you are buying the kayak that you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quality for sure, Clyde. It is made up of a combination of things... mostly where you paddle and with whom you paddle... and maybe what you paddle too...

    ReplyDelete