If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

2014: Post 5 – Some ski progress

A few weeks ago I tried cross country skiing with my paddling buddies... see Post 1.  Well since then I had bought my own skis but then we lost all our snow.  Then we had more snow but I missed an opportunity to get out with the guys last weekend.  But this afternoon I was able to finally try out my own equipment at Pippy Park...

We started off at one location but the trails were narrow and twisted among the trees.  I fell down twice right at the start and the guys decided it wasn't the best place for me to learn so we decided to jump in the cars and go to a more flatter area where there was a track laid down, it was much more open, and the hills were more gentle.  

In my concentration of trying to ski, I had forgotten I had taken my camera but then remembered near the end of the day...  Neville and Tony had gone up ahead a little way and I took one of Gary who was hanging back with me...



Neville and Tony were having a chat while waiting for us, and when we caught up to them I got another pic of all three guys....




If I gauge my progress by the number of times I fall down I did really well at my second ski outing today.  The first time I tried skiing back in January I fell down at least a dozen times (I think it was more like fifteen) and hurt my ribs the second last time I fell.  Today I only fell down just five times; granted the hills we less steep at today's location but it is progress.  I felt much more comfortable on the skis, and my balance was much better.  I also wore less clothing than before, although it was colder today, and so did not overheat as much.

It was another great day to be outdoors.  In fact, it was a great weekend for outdoors... a paddle yesterday and a ski today...  



No comments:

Post a Comment