If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

2014: Post 3 – The best paddle so far

Maybe I don't remember the other paddles from this winter very well, or maybe it's simply from lack of paddling since Christmas, but today's paddle felt like it was the best paddle I've had so far this winter.

It was a balmy -4 C when I arrived at St. Philips,  it was snowing a little, and there was little wind to speak of.  It was shaping up to be a good day on the water.  Within a couple minutes Tony pulled up, and then Clyde.  Just a few minutes more and Hazen and Neville showed up.... I could feel the anticipation as the guys prepared kayaks and gear.





And then off we went to Topsail Beach, taking our time... 


Hazen

Tony

Clyde and Neville

Da boys

It was high tide and when we arrived at Topsail Beach and, with a little bit of work, we were able to paddle up into the lagoon...  


Clyde

Tony

I've only been able to paddle up the river once before (you've got to hit the tide at the right time) but I was by myself then.  This time I was able to share the fun with friends... and I do believe this may have been the first time the rest of the guys paddled up into the lagoon.  We paddled across the little pond and took out for a little snack... 


Clyde trying out my cag

Hazen and Tony, with Neville in the background

After our snack and chat, we were cooling down and so it was time to get back in the kayaks and warm up on the way back to St. Philips... 



Tony


Clyde and Hazen

By the time we arrived back at St. Philips the snow flakes were bigger and more intense, adding to the enjoyment of winter paddling... 




Tony said he didn't want the paddle to be over and could just keep going up to Portugal Cove... and it was a tempting proposition.  But instead we paddled up the river, cleaned up, and went for coffee...  



Hazen sent me this pic he took of me during today's paddle so I thought I would add it to my entry....




Thanks Hazen, Tony, Neville, and Clyde for making today another memorable paddle.  

be sure to check out Tony's entry of today's paddle...

No comments:

Post a Comment