If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

2013: Post 51 – A trial run or a paddle restoration?

I sanded my newest Greenland paddle last weekend.  It needs a final sanding, and I think I will probably take a little more wood off the blades... seems just a little too thick.  This particular paddle is the first one I have made that is all cedar wood; my other ones are either solid spruce or lamination's of spruce/cedar. Since the cedar is softer than the spruce I decided I should add some PVC to the tips the way Sean does... see this post by Sean.

I consulted with Sean as to what epoxy to use to bond the PVC to the wood and the process involved. Today I finally got around to getting the job started.  But I had not tried this before and I figured that I would do a test run on the paddle I had broken last year (see this post). Then I decided my time would be better put to use if I did my trial run on the paddle I have been using since last year.

The Greenland paddle that I have been using for the last sixteen months has the ends well chewed up as you can see below...



I cut a couple pieces from the PVC pipe I had on hand and traced out the shape on the ends of my paddle.  Once the frayed wood was removed it exposed the sound wood lurking underneath...  



A little bit of work with a file and the fit was decent enough.  The epoxy will fill any little gaps....




Per instruction's from Sean, I roughened up the smooth inside face of the PVC with sand paper, then mixed the epoxy, and held things in place with a few finishing nails....




Sean had told me that he had mixed some black ink with his epoxy so it would blend in with the black PVC.  I did not have any black ink around and since I am using my worn paddle as a trial run I really don't care about the aesthetics of it.  Maybe the white epoxy between the wood and the PC might be kind of interesting.   

I have to let the epoxy set on this end of the paddle and then I will do the other end; I have it already cut and the piece of PVC ready to be adhered.

I am thinking that adding these PVC tips to this older paddle may not be a 'trial run' after all... perhaps it is more of a 'paddle restoration'.  If I've done the job properly, and the epoxy holds the PVC in place, I will have greatly extended the life of my older paddle... unless I break it.   



3 comments:

  1. Looks good, Dean. You will be amazed at how much this will extend the life of your paddles. I'm over three years into my paddle and not a mark on the tips!! The only hitch is that, because my paddle is lasting is lasting so long, I really don't have a good excuse to make a new one. It's a nice complaint to have, actually!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sean. I have the tip on the other end epoxied on now so will just let it sit for a day or two to fully cure before sanding and shaping the tips... The PVC will be a great help when there is a bit of ice around with the approaching winter kayaking season...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty of the pipe is that it can be shaped just as easy as the wood!! You can work it down to s nice sharp tip which will work wonders on your silent paddle technique!!

    ReplyDelete