If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Friday, November 4, 2011

2011: Post 51 – Freedom for the Disko Bay

Continued from Post 49…

Sean had suggested some time ago that I remove the frame from the strongback to ensure that the keel was not hogging (see Post 46).  But I just had faith that it would not hog and had left it on the strongback until I had all the deck stringers in place and had epoxied the bottom ring of the cockpit in place.  Early this past week I decided it was time to set the Disko free.

While singing (in my mind only) snippets of “I want to break free” I removed the screws holding the first and last frames in place and set the frame on the basement floor. 



I checked the bow… 



I checked the stern…



Yeah!  Positive rocker.


Later, I set to work drilling holes through the gunwales and backer plates.  Then I did a dry-run of putting the lines in place in front and behind the cockpit.  I draped a towel over the frame to simulate the skin being in place and then inserted and pulled the lines through the holes from inside the kayak.  It worked out pretty well. 

I am using ¼ inch bungee cord in front of the cockpit...



...and ¼ inch reflective deck line behind the cockpit and, of course, for the bow and stern...



I had earlier screwed the backband to the coaming to try it for fit.  I think it will work out just fine with some adjusting and am glad I made the decision to spend the few extra dollars for it…


I sawed off the excess plywood sticking below the keel and sanded things smooth and I made some wood toggles that the deck lines will run through... 



I wanted to put a couple coats of Danish oil on the frame before this weekend.  Someone had given me a can of it a while ago and I checked the warnings on the label…   do not breathe fumes… wear an organic vapour respirator… After reading the can I decided this was not something I wanted to do in the house.  I would have to wait for a decent day on a weekend to do it outside.  This might not happen in November, not around here anyway.  I will have to wait and see.

So I decided to hang the frame from the joists.  At least now it is up out of the way…



Well that is where things sit, or hang, for the time being... 

No comments:

Post a Comment