Continued from Post 51….
This past week my efforts on the Disko were to get a couple coats of protection on the wood. Originally I was going to use Danish oil but I did not want to use it in the house after reading the warnings on the can. I had talked to Sean and he told me he used something called spar urethane on his. I made a trip to Home Depot to see what they had there. I found the spar urethane (Minwax brand) and I checked the can; it said it had UV protection and oils in it that would allow it to expand and contract with the wood from temperature changes… seemed like good stuff for the purpose.
So each night I did a little bit at a time and over the week I had applied two coats to everything. I did the application in the storage room… I closed the door and opened the window. I turned on a little ceramic heater to get the air temp up to help with the drying time. I also set up a fan to force the movement of air toward the window in order to minimize the fumes from coming into the house. I would have preferred to do this outside but this time of year it is just about dark by the time I get home and it is cooler now.
I just finished putting the last of the urethane on the frame itself and a third coat on the coaming and toggles as these will be more exposed to the elements....
|the wood really darkens up with the urethane...|
|coaming and toggles with a third coat....|
I’ll let things dry for a full day now… maybe I’ll get to start skinning next week…